Saturday, September 15, 2007

Portraits - age 18


These are portraits copied from a National Geographic photographer's book. Sorry I can't remember his name. It's Michael something...Csomething.

After graduation I started thinking about religion a lot and eventually decided to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Before I left I really enjoyed looking at pictures of non-Americans. I like seeing God's children and their various states. I think many individuals in our country forget to do that too often.



Notice the improved linework and more confident drawing abilities. I spent a lot of time just doodling at this stage in my life. I knew I wanted to do art, but I also knew I wanted to serve a mission--the mission meant a 2 year reprieve from art. But I had faith on a friend's advice that "There is nothing you won't do better after having served a mission." Whether that's true or not I'll let you determine.



I love this drawing. It was out of my head.



I used to like Thomas Kinkade until I met him at the Mall of Georgia once. He is the most egotistical and selfish artist I've ever seen. I will never buy his work, or his designer bed sheets.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: